TRADITIONAL LIBERAL ANALYSIS OF RACISM IN THE UNITED STATES
This model represents the dominant view of racism in the US. This view considers racism as a tool of white people to oppress people of color and overlooks the realities that:
- Racism is a tool of the larger white supremacist and capitalism system.
- White people have also been, are, and can be anti-racist and therefore allies in the movement for racial justice.
- White people are differently privileged based on class and power, and thus not all white people have the same investment in maintaining racism.
Please see White Supremacist System Analysis below for a description of how AWARE-LA understands racism in the US.
AWARE-LA’S ANALYSIS OF THE WHITE SUPREMACIST SYSTEM
This is the basic theoretical framework of how AWARE-LA understands the white supremacist system and the current conditions in the US. This view shows:
- The ruling elite use racism to divide and conquer different racial groups in the interest of white supremacist capitalism.
- White people are simultaneously privileged and oppressed by the white supremacist system.
- Possibilities for alliance exist between non-ruling-elite whites and people of color for their common interests against the ruling elite.
We use this framework as a strategic point of entry to begin this work while understanding ultimately all systems of supremacy must end. For more information on this model, read the paper Toward a Radical White Identity by AWARE-LA or contact us.